Mediation can be an effective alternative to litigation in many disputes or conflicts. It is a process in which the parties identify the issues, explore options and make decisions with the support of a trained mediator. The mediator does not advise the parties or make any determination, but helps them to manage the resolution process and, whenever possible, to decide and agree on a lasting outcome.
Sam is a Nationally Accredited Mediator and is regarded as an excellent communicator. Sam possesses the skills and credibility to guide parties to engage in constructive negotiations and towards the achievement of lasting agreements.
Sam has over 18 years’ experience assisting parties to effectively deal with commercial disputes. Sam holds a Bachelor of Laws (with Honours) and an Accounting Finance and Economics degree (with Honours).
Prior to working in private practice, Sam worked in company and corporate regulation for the Insolvency Service (the UK’s equivalent to ASIC) in London.
Sam is also a Board Director and Councillor at the Law Institute of Victoria and was a Board Director of the Western Region Health Centre, now Co Health.
Sam’s legal expertise and governance and regulatory experience have given him unique insights into commercial decision-making and the potential obstacles, conscious or otherwise, to the successful resolution of disputes.
Sam has been involved in a range of banking and commercial litigation and mediations that has enhanced his understanding of dispute resolution, such as:
- Workplace disputes
- Retail Lease Act disputes.
- PPSR disputes.
- Disputes between franchisors and franchisees.
- Disputes between SME’s and telecom and other service providers.
- Acting for banks and secured lenders in relation to farm debt matters, asset recovery and security positions
- Acting for lessors and lessees in relation to commercial leasing disputes
- Acting for funding creditors in pursuing assets from debtors
- Acting and appearing for banks and financial institutions in bankruptcy and winding up proceedings in the Federal and Supreme Courts
- Secured litigation – acting for mortgagees and commencing action in the Supreme Court for possession of mortgagors’ property
- Advising on a range of litigious matters arising from insolvency, including unfair preferences, voidable transactions and PPSR issues
- Advising the banks and the receivers of a large management investment scheme in relation to Supreme Court and High Court proceedings with regards to the companies’ rights to terminate land leases
Sam has significant experience acting on behalf of clients in commercial matters in the Magistrates Court, County Court, Supreme Court and Federal Courts in interlocutory applications and hearings for both secured and unsecured litigation matters.
Please contact us if you would like to have a fee-free, no-obligation discussion regarding your requirements.